Spiced Apple Poke Cake
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 apple cored and shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1 tbsp tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- whipped topping whipped cream
- 2/3 cup crushed gingersnap cookies about 9 cookies
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions for a 13- x 9-inch cake; stir in shredded apple to the batter. Bake cake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place apple juice in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Allow juice to boil undisturbed until it is reduced by more than half and has thickened somewhat.
- Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water to form a slurry; whisk into gently boiling juice and whisk until thickened. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in butter, vanilla and salt. Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Using round handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes over entire top of cake surface, being careful not to poke through to bottom of pan.
- Pour cooled sauce over surface of cake, filling in holes and allowing sauce to soak into cake. Let cake stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Spread whipped topping evenly over top of cake and sprinkle with crushed cookies. Store in refrigerator.