Pomegranate Vegetable Soup with Lentils
This Pomegranate Vegetable and Lentil Soup packs in a plant based protein (lentils) , a green vegetable (spinach), a crunchy vegetable (carrots) and an antioxidant rich juice (pomegrantate). Let me stop right here, and explain the 100% pomegranate juice is the star of this soup!
- 2 cups dry red lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 ounces
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz baby spinach chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp pomegranate arils optional
- 1. Rinse and drain lentils in a colander. 2. In a large pot over medium high heat, warm olive oil. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot, and cook, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, but not browned, about 30 seconds. 3. Stir in vegetable broth, 100% pomegranate juice, lentils, crushed tomatoes, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Add chopped spinach to the soup, stir and cook uncovered, just until the spinach wilts , about 1 minute. Stir in balsamic vinegar . Ladle the soup into bowls, top with pomegranate arils (if desired) and serve immediately.
This recipe was provided by Diane Boyd, RD, a Fruit and Vegetable Ambassador In Action for the Produce For Better Health Foundation.