Beef and Bulgur Meatballs in Pomegranate Sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup cooked and cooled bulgur
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
- Optional garnish: pomegranate arils
- Place all meatball ingredients in a large bowl – ground pork through black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Shape into 20-24 (1-inch) meatballs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-heat.
- Place meatballs in pan and cook, turning on all sides, until browned. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Leaving remaining oil and browned bits in pan, add pomegranate juice to deglaze.
- Add broth and vinegar. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, combine cornstarch and water; mix well.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into pan and use a whisk to thoroughly combine, removing any clumps.
- Place meatballs back in pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until sauce is thickened and meatballs are cooked through.
- Top with fresh mint and pomegranate arils, if desired.
This recipe was provided by Jamie Vespa from Dishing out Health, as part of the Healthy Aperture blogger partnership.