No matter how scary your Halloween costume may be, sometimes all that sugar is the most frightening part of all! Luckily, we’ve got some healthy, kid-friendly recipes to help you enjoy the festivities guilt-free. All of these creations are whipped up with 100% fruit juice – offering crucial vitamins and minerals without giving up that fun flavor!
It’s not a party without punch – and our Purple Bug Juice is the perfect healthy replacement for traditional party drinks which can be loaded with sugar and other added sweets. Whipped up with a fruitful blend of 100% juices, both kids and adults will enjoy this flavorful beverage. If you’re searching for something a little spookier, then the Icky Eyeballs are calling your name! After all, who doesn’t love a good “gross-out”? Your choice of apple juice or white grape juice offers those added nutrients without sacrificing delicious taste.
- 1 3-ounce package lime gelatin dessert regular or sugar-free
- 2 cups 100% apple juice or 100% white grape juice
- 8 seedless green grapes
- 2-4 raisins
- Set four 9-ounce plastic glasses on a tray and set aside.
- Make the gelatin dessert according to package directions, using the juice at room temperature and heated, in place of the water. Divide the liquid gelatin among the plastic glasses.
- Add 2 grapes to each glass, rolling to coat them with the gelatin.
- Nudge the grapes together to look like a pair of eyeballs. Cut the raisins into thin slices. Gently dip each slice into the warm gelatin and set each one on top of a grape.
- Set the tray with the glasses in the refrigerator. Refrigerate until the gelatin is firmly set, 3 to 4 hours.
- Icky Eyeballs keep, covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
PER SERVING: 75 calories, 0 g fat (0g saturated fat), 17 g carbohydrate, 0 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 10 mg sodium
In addition to treats and drinks, we have a few more tricks up our sleeve. For instance, give your basic chili recipe a fun kick with The Halloween Super-Scary Spicy Chili recipe from Healthy Slow Cooking. Or, dare to dive into this Raw Caramel Dip from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen.
Looking for more freaky-festive recipes? Check out our Happy Healthy Halloween board on Pinterest. For more information about juice and your health, visit our Health & Nutrition section.