This recipe was created for the Juice Products Association in partnership with the Produce For Better Health Foundation for the Rock the Cocktails Cook Along.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- peel of mandarin orange, in piece
- 10 dried chili de arbol, 8 split in half lengthwise
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 4 ounces 100% cranberry juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Make the spicy orange simple syrup: Combine sugar, water, chilis de arbol, and orange peel in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Reduce until syrup is thick and amber in color. Strain into glass container, reserving two pieces of orange peel and whole chilis de arbol. Discard remaining chilis. Allow syrup to cool completely. Syrup can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator
- Prepare your cocktail. Fill shaker with ice, and combine 1.5 ounces prepared syrup with remaining ingredients. Shake well and divide ice and mixture evenly into two rocks glasses, or serve straight up in martini glasses
- Garnish your glasses. Top glasses with reserved “candied” orange peel and chili de arbol, both of which are edible. Be warned: the chili is spicy.