Apricot Orange Bread
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots (about 15)
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled (5-1/3 tablespoons)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange peel (optional)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom only of 8 x 4-inch metal loaf pan with cooking spray. Stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add apricots and 3 tablespoons of the almonds; mix well. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat orange juice, egg, melted butter, extracts and, if desired, orange peel with whisk or fork until well blended. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just until dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.
- For glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar and orange juice in small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over bread. Let stand until glaze has set. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature up to 2 days.