Orange Juice Belgian Waffles
Enter these orange juice belgian waffles. These beauties are bursting with orange flavor thanks to swapping out milk for 100% orange juice. Not only does that make them delicious and dairy-free, but it also makes them full of vitamin C. Because according to the dietary guidelines one cup of 100% fruit juice is equivalent to one cup of fruit and contains similar nutrients to the fruit it is squeezed from.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cups arrowroot or cornstarch
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup cup canola oil preferably organic
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 zest orange
- 2 cups 100% orange juice
- Heat waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Combine flour, arrowroot or cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, oil, vanilla paste, orange zest, and 100% orange juice. Stir well with a wire whisk. Add mixture to flour mixture and stir with a wire whisk until well combined. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of batter onto greased, heated griddle and cook until waffle is done, according to manufacturer's instructions. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately.
These waffles are bursting with orange flavor thanks to using 100% orange juice and orange zest. Be sure to use the extra starch (arrowroot starch or cornstarch) to create a nice crunch on the waffle… nobody needs soggy waffles, and that extra starch is the trick to keep em crisp!